The number of students in India opting for science after 10th standard is considerable. Those choosing to persuade their studies in the field of engineering are more than the students going in rest of the streams like commerce or arts put together. With so many opportunities in different companies in the engineering field, students and parents are more inclined to engineering colleges. Every student wants himself to be placed in at least one of the top 100 engineering colleges in India because when you look out for jobs, the companies look out for a quality name in your education background. Students thus seek to get admission in popular colleges/universities where courses are allotted after an all-India merit test.
The top engineering colleges in India are mostly government colleges, controlled by the government of India, with the India Institute of technology (Bombay) leading the list. Also the next group oftop 10 engineering colleges in India belong to the IIT’s, NIT and BITS in the order:
1) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
2) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
3) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
4) Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
5) Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
6) IT-BHU ( Banaras Hindu university)
7) BITS (the only private college in the top 10 list)
8) National institute of technology, Tiruchirapalli
9) Delhi Technological University.
With more number of government colleges in this list, the eligibility for admissions in these colleges becomes difficult. The IITs conduct an all-India joint entrance examination in order to choose excellent students for its various engineering programs. Likewise to get into the top NIT’s, a rank under 10,000 (general category) is mandatory in AIEEE. AIEEE (all India engineering entrance examinations) gives the students a choice to opt for the best college according to their rank achieved in the examination.
Students may also look into state colleges for a good engineering future. Many private and government engineering colleges in state give the students more options to choose from. Almost every state conducts its own state level examinations for admission to various colleges located in the Uttar Pradesh technical university (UPTU) set up by the government of Uttar Pradesh serves with various degree level engineering institutions to the students.Engineering colleges in UPTU offer many engineering courses for students in UG and PG level. The UPTU is now known as the GautamBuddh Technical University.
The top 10 engineering collegesin UPTU are:
1) IIT – Kanpur
2) IT – BHU
3) Motilal Nehru national institute of technology, Allahabad.
4) Indian institute of information technology, Allahabad.
5) Indian institute of information technology, Amethi.
6) Harcourt butler technological institute, Kanpur.
7) Ajay Kumar garg engineering college, Ghaziabad.
8) Institute of engineering technology, Lucknow.
9) Madan Mohan Malviya Engineering College, Gorakhpur.
10) Amity school of engineering, Noida.
Admissions to these top colleges for students are decided on the basis of merit. The entrance examinations for UPTU are controlled by the state government through UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination). Those students qualifying the entrance are then called for counseling in the month of august-September so as to choose from the various engineering degree programs. Both state and national colleges in India produce a good number of engineers every year which join major international companies like Facebook, Google, DELL, APPLE and Indian companies like SAIL, BHEL, ONGC, DVC etc.